TLTC New Faculty Orientation to Teaching
Thursday, August 27th
The TLTC, in partnership with the Office of Faculty Affairs, welcomes all new faculty to a day of community building and celebration of teaching, learning, and mentorship. Whether you are an experienced instructor or just starting out, this one-day orientation will help your transition to the University of Maryland be as smooth and productive as possible.
We will help you get your first semester off to a strong start by:
- Helping you plan for effectively engaging your students at UMD,
- Introducing you to the Faculty Liaisons in your college,
- Engaging you in dialog about fostering an inclusive classroom,
- Facilitating your ongoing teaching development, and
- Providing you with useful and effective strategies and resources.
We also schedule individual sessions for Departments and Colleges by request, so please contact us to discuss your needs.
Graduate Student Teaching Orientations
The Graduate School and the TLTC host annual campus-wide Graduate Student Teacher Orientations before the start of each semester. The orientations are open to both new and returning teaching assistants and graduate student instructors and provide: 1) Practical training for effective teaching, 2) Support in developing teaching identity and philosophy, and 3) Knowledge of campus resources for teaching, learning, and professional development.
Visit Graduate Student Resources for additional resources and links to: 1) support and improve your teaching, 2) support your students, and 3) support you as a graduate student.
For a schedule of the dates for the upcoming Fall and Spring Graduate Student Teaching Orientations, check out the Graduate Programs - Upcoming Events schedule.
For more information about the Graduate School orientations for graduate students, serving in teaching positions or not, visit gradschool.umd.edu/calendar/events.
Fall Graduate Student Teaching Orientation
Fall orientation occurs at the end of August as an all-day event. Over 300 graduate student instructors and teaching assistants attend this event each August. At the orientation, participants attend plenary sessions, question and answer sessions with experienced graduate student teachers, and a series of interactive workshops on a wide variety of teaching topics. The Fall 2020 Graduate Student Teaching Orientation will be held on Friday, August 28, 2020. Check back later for more information.
The Fall Graduate Student Teaching Orientation has two different tracks:
- Track 1: New Teaching Assistants - for graduate students that are new to teaching at the University of Maryland, new to teaching in general, and/or whose TA roles will primarily be as a discussion/laboratory section leader or grader.
- Track 2: Experienced TAs and Instructors of Record - for graduate students that will be teaching their own courses as instructor of record, have a lot of autonomy in their teaching, or who have been teaching as a TA for more than two years.
Spring Graduate Student Teaching Orientation
Spring orientations are held in mid-January as a half-day event, and generally host 40-60 participants.